#aprèsride: double chocolate protein bites
Indulgent chocolate snacks that are good for you. Could there be such a thing? Here's the perfect antidote to cupboard raiding, and it'll help you recover from your ride! Double choc, double win!
20g cashew nuts
20g almonds (flaked or whole)
25g cocoa powder
50g protein chocolate powder (e.g. single sachet of SiS Rego)
40ml semi skinned milk (or almond or hazelnut milk)
20g desiccated coconut
Ready in: less than 15 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Makes: 8 balls
1. Put all the dry ingredients and stoneless dates into a blender or food processor.
2. Blend on a medium speed to break up the nuts.
3. Add milk in small amounts, checking the mixture doesn't get too wet (if it gets too running it will be difficult to mould).
4. Sprinkle dessicated coconut onto a plate.
5. Scoop out the mixture and roll into balls, no bigger than a ping pong or golf ball.
6. Roll the ball in the coconut, aiming for an equal coating.
7. Eat! Store the bites in the fridge for later. This will firm them up, too.
Tip: Switch out chocolate protein powder for vanilla or banana flavour, or roll the bites in chopped pistachio nuts.
Typical values per bite
Energy 107 kcals
of which saturated fat 0g
It's good because...
If you are sick of eating energy products, shakes and protein bars, these bites are an alternative to packaged products and are a healthier alternative to munching a chocolate bar or picking at the fridge.
The main ingredients to these bites are nuts. If you avoid diary, calcium-rich almonds are great for getting enough a top up of the bone-building mineral. Cashews are packed with protein and a useful source of minerals like iron and zinc. Mix in protein powder to kick start your recovery and rebuild muscle. You can add in a scoop of your favourite powder, or pick up a taster sachet.