Fully revised and updated 3rd edition of the indispensable guide for anyone planning (or dreaming) about taking their bicycle on a long-distance adventure. This comprehensive guide will make that dream a reality whether it's cycling from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, across Asia, around Australia or the length of Africa.
- Chapters include:
- Part 1 Planning and preparation: What kind of ride? Seasons Budget and time Companions Researching information Documentation Visas Insurance Money Health
- Part 2 Bikes, Clothing & Camping Gear: Narrowing down your bike choices - Frame material and component options - Top touring bikes Comfort zone Tools and spares - Carrying luggage How much stuff? Bikepacking setup; Clothing Footwear; Camping Tents Sleeping bags and mats Stoves Treating water Kitchen essentials Electronic devices
- Part 3 On the road: Transporting your bike Navigating Staying in touch Health Hygiene Staying Safe Dirt-road riding
- Part 4 Route Outlines Europe to Asia & Australasia Practical information and touring tips for: Europe Southern route through Turkey, Iran and Pakistan Indian subcontinent Caucasus Central Asia Northern route through Russia & Mongolia East Asia South East Asia Australasia.
- Part 5 Route Outlines Africa Practical information and touring tips for: the Nile Route East and Southern Africa the Sahara West and Central Africa.
- Part 6 Route Outlines the Americas Practical information and touring tips for: Pan-American Highway - Alaska to the Lower 48 Pacific Coast Route Great Divide Mountain Bike Route Mexico and Central America Negotiating the Darien Gap Riding the Andes from Colombia to Patagonia .
- Part 7 Tales from the Saddle Seven first-hand accounts of spoke-bending biking adventures worldwide.
- Paperback: 320 pages
- ISBN-10: 190586468X