Just 240 calories and packed with protein, this pizza is a perfect post ride snack, ready in less that 15 minutes – faster than you can open a packet of biscuits.
1 wholewheat tortilla wrap
2 tbsp tomato passata
2 tbsp tinned kidney beans
Handful of fresh spinach
2 slices of Parma ham or prosciutto
A dash of dried oregano
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
2. Place a tortilla on a flat baking sheet.
3. Add tomato passata and spread it across the tortilla with the back of your spoon.
4. Drain the kidney beans and sprinkle on top of the passata.
5. Add a few good shakes of dried oregano.
6. Add a handful of spinach, covering the passata and beans.
7. Add two slices of ham, leaving space in the middle. You may want to rip them up a bit.
8. Crack an egg in the centre and add pepper.
9. Place in the oven for 8 minutes if you like your yolk runny, or 10 minutes if you prefer a firm yolk.
Typical values per pizza
Energy 1,005 (kJ) / 240 kcals
It's good because...
Spinach has always been regarded as a plant with a remarkable ability to restore energy and improve the quality of the blood. There are sound reasons why spinach would produce such results, primarily because it is rich in iron. Kidney beans are also iron rich, and their slow burning carbohydrates are ideal for balancing your blood sugar levels rather than causing a spike.
It’s also important to mix protein with carbohydrates as your body finds it easier to absorb the protein and turn it into muscle mass and aid faster recovery. Kidney beans, like spinach, are a sort of wonder food: that little red bean is also high in protein. Finally, we add an egg, another high protein food, and the perfect topping to this healthy recovery pizza package.